If You Have Concerns

If you are concerned about possible abuse or neglect, then please contact social services to talk about the concern.  Please don't assume that someone else will report the concern and don't worry if you think you might be wrong - it is still important for someone with experience and responsibility to look into it. It is our responsibility to do so.

If you or someone you know is being abused and is in immediate danger, you need to do something straight away to stop them or others being hurt. You should ring 999 and tell the operator what is happening

If you think a crime might have taken place, such as rape, assault or theft, please ring the police and be careful not to remove or destroy any evidence.

If you are worried about contacting the police you can always contact social services to talk things over first.

Wherever you live, whether it's a care home, your own home or whichever place you have visited, such as a hospital, health centre or college and you've experienced or witnessed an abusive situation, you can ring your local social services office for help and advice.

You do not have to say who you are but this may make it more difficult for us to investigate and protect you or the person being abused.

If you feel nervous about talking to social services, you could ask someone to talk to us on your behalf. This could be a nurse, a carer, an advocate or a friend or relative you trust.

Here is a digital story about a man who was being abused but decided to tell Social Services. Social Services arranged for the help he needed to feel safe and stop the abuse occuring again.


Here are 5 short Keeping Safe Videos that explain What is abuse and who can help:

English  http://caerphillyover50.co.uk/what-is-abuse-and-who-can-help/

Welsh http://caerphillyover50.co.uk/beth-yw-cam-drin-a-phwy-all-helpu/



If you are concerned about abuse or neglect please contact the following:

Blaenau Gwent:
Tel: 01495 315700
Fax: 01495 353350

Tel: 0808 100 2500
Email: or
Fax: 01443 873627

Tel: 01495 762200
Fax: 01495 766331

Tel: 01633 656656

Tel: 01291 638928

If it is an emergency and you need to contact us outside of office hours please call our Emergency Duty Team on: Tel: 0800 328 4432

What will happen if you report the abuse?

We will provide you with the support and advice you need to help you to make any decisions and will help you in taking action to end the abuse and ensure that it doesn't happen again.

What you tell us will be treated sensitively but we may have to tell other people to help us to investigate the concern.

If abuse is reported to social services, we may arrange for an investigation to take place, which will follow the guidance set out in the Wales Interim Policy and Procedures for the Protection of Vulnerable Adults from Abuse (Jan 2013) This may involve several agencies e.g. health services and police. Action will then be taken to ensure you (or the person being abused) is protected in the future.

Rate this page